Snakes may be passive or hostile depending on the species.
All of the species of Snakes can be found in the Wyvern Lair.
Snakes drop eggs of its type when killed. The egg dropped depends on the species of Snake that was killed.
BehaviorThere are three different types of behaviors a Snake can have. This depends on their type and whether or not they are tamed.
As of the v4.5.1 update, tamed Snakes can be healed by feeding them Raw Rat.
Snakes that are hostile towards the player will lift up their heads and hiss when the player is near them as a warning. If the player moves three blocks away, the Snake will ignore the player. However if the player remains in the range of the hostile Snake, it will become aggressive and attack the player. Most hostile Snakes are venomous. Hostile Snakes include Pythons, Cobras, Rattle Snakes, Coral Snakes, Orange Snakes and Green Snakes.
Snakes such as the Dark Snake and the Spotted Snake will flee from the player when approached, and they won't attack the player even if it has been attacked first. The Snake may still lift its head.
A tamed Snake is passive, and will never attack the player. It also won't retreat from the player when approached. For unknown reasons, hostile species of Snakes that have been tamed will still lift up their heads whenever the player is near, but they won't attack. It's possible that this is a bug.
|Green Snake||Common||Aggressive||Swamps, Plains|
|Orange Snake||Rare||Aggressive||Plains, Mushroom Island, Jungle|
|Dark Snake||Rare||Passive||Plains, Forests, Swamps|
|Coral Snake||Rare||Aggressive||Plains, Forests|
TamingSnakes drop 1-3 eggs of its type when killed, which are able to be picked up by the player. If a Snake egg is placed in a well lit area, it will hatch a tamed Snake after a certain period of time. A tamed Snake can be picked up by right-clicking on it, and can be placed down by right-clicking again.
As time passes, the Snake will grow larger until it reaches its maximum size. Green Snakes, Coral Snakes and Spotted Snakes stay relatively small while Pythons and Cobras can grow relatively large.
- Attacking one Snake will not provoke other Snakes in the area. This can be used to one's advantage to make eggs easier to obtain.
- Pythons can slither on top of water and don't become submerged like other Snakes.
- If you are carrying a Bird, a Mouse, or a Bunny, you will attract the attention of a Snake, which hunts down these small creatures.
- Coral Snakes, Cobras, Rattle Snakes, Green Snakes and Orange Snakes are venomous and will poison the player when they strike.
- Snakes will never take fall damage, even when the player lifts it up into the air and drops it.
- The item "Orange Snake Egg" used to be called "Orage Snake Egg" before it was fixed.
- Most, if not all of the Snakes on this page are based on real life Snakes.
- The Python is most likely based on the Burmese Python.
- The Cobra is based on the Indian Cobra of the genus Naja.
- The Green Snake resembles the Eastern Green Mamba.
- The Orange Snake is most likely to be based on the Corn Snake.
- The Dark Snake is probably based on the Smooth Green Snake.
- The Coral Snake is based on its real life counterpart of the genus Calliophis.
- The Spotted Snake is most likely based on the Spotted House Snake or the Blue-bellied Black Snake.
- The Rattlesnake is likely to be based on the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.