|Health points||10 ()|
|Attack strength|| Easy: 2 () |
Normal: 2 ()
Hard: 3 ()
|Spawn||Solid surfaced blocks with a minimum of two block spaces above them and the Wyvern Lair.|
|First appearances||See History|
Natural generation Edit
Snakes spawn on opaque blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 2 block space above. They often spawn in groups of 4 during world generation, but mostly of the same species; some types of snakes only spawn in certain biomes.
Rattlesnakes and spotted snakes can only be found in deserts; cobras spawn in jungles, green, orange and coral snakes spawn in plains, and dark snakes can spawn elsewhere where they are grass blocks.
Wyvern Lair Edit
Snakes can spawn anywhere in the Wyvern Lair in light levels of 9 or more.
Snakes will drop 0-2 eggs upon death. They drop 1 to 3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Snakes wander around aimlessly, avoiding cliffs high enough to cause fall damage and tend to swim in water. Snakes can be heard hissing occasionally. Each snake has their own behavior, and some may be harder to find than others. Snakes may be passive or neutral.
Unlike other mobs, snakes can't jump, and will scale vertically up blocks, like scorpions and spiders.
If you hold a mouse or bird near a snake and then drop it, the snake will hunt it down; they usually attack these small creatures.
Snakes can exist either in a passive, neutral, or hostile state. Passive snakes will not attack the player, and will flee when approached. Passive snakes include the dark snake and the spotted snake.
Aggressive snakes are initially neutral, but if a player approaches one, the snake will lift its head up and begin to hiss at you as a warning. If you move about three blocks away, the snake will ignore you. However, if you continue to remain in its range, it will become aggressive and attack you. Some aggressive species are capable of poisoning you.
Some hostile snakes can poison you. They're deadly if you are touched by one, because if you are touched, the poison effect will last for 7 seconds, and lower you to 7 () health in about 10 seconds. The effect makes you very vulnerable to any damage for about 20 to 30 seconds, especially if you haven't killed the snake or aren't equipped with armor, such as scorpion armor.
Wild snakes cannot be tamed. Instead, the player has to obtain a snake egg. Once obtained, place the egg in a well lit area. When the egg hatches, the baby snake will become tame and the naming screen will appear.
Tamed snakes can be picked up. To pick up a snake, right-click on it and it will go onto your shoulders. To release the snake, press the shift key. Tamed snakes can be healed with raw rat.
Tamed snakes are passive, and will never attack the player. It will try to attack any birds, including tamed ones; even if they are on your head. It also won't retreat when approached.
As time passes, the snake will grow larger until it reaches its maximum size. Green snakes, coral snakes and spotted snakes stay small, but pythons and cobras can grow relatively large.
Snakes spawn with eight different skins, including green, orange, dark brown (python), dark green, spotted, brownish-green (rattlesnake), red-black stripes (coral) and green-red (cobra).
To get a snake egg, input one of the following commands below.
For a list of snake egg IDs, see the egg page.
|1.6 or earlier||/give @p 4101 1 [ID]|
|1.7 and later||/give @p MoCreatures:mocegg 1 [ID]|
- Snakes are healed with raw rat.
- You can now name your tamed birds, bunnies and snakes by using an amulet or book.
- Fixed snake head rotation.
- Fixed pet mounting (birds, bunnies, snakes, turtles, kitties).
- Fixed snake attack animation.
- Increased speed of the snakes.
- Snakes are slightly faster.
- Added snakes.
- Snakes are based on many real-life snake species.
- The appearance of the python is based on the real-life group of pythons, but shares a resemblance to the Burmese python.
- The green snake is mostly likely based on either the Eastern green mamba or the smooth green snake.
- If this is true, it's quite odd that the green snake is hostile, as both the Eastern green mamba and smooth green snake are non-aggressive species of snakes.
- The appearance of the cobra is based on many cobra species.
- The orange snake is based on the corn snake.
- The coral snake is based on the group of coral snakes, but may also be based on micrurus.
- The spotted snake resembles the Yellow-spotted wolf snake.
- Pythons can slither on top of water, and don't become submerged like other snakes. When snakes swim, you can hear the slithering sounds they make when they do so.
- Snakes never take fall damage, even when the player lifts it up into the air and drops it.
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern