|Health points||10 ()|
|Attack strength|| Easy: 2 () |
Normal: 2 ()
Hard: 3 ()
|Spawn||Solid surfaced blocks with a minimum of two block spaces above them and the Wyvern Lair.|
|First appearances||See History|
Snakes are tamable mobs found in the Overworld and the Wyvern Lair. They can either be passive or neutral, depending on the species.
Natural generation Edit
Snakes spawn on opaque blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 2 block space above. They often spawn in groups of 4 during world generation, but mostly of the same species; some types of snakes only spawn in certain biomes.
Rattlesnakes and spotted snakes can only be found in deserts; cobras spawn in jungles, green, orange and coral snakes spawn in plains, and dark snakes can spawn almost anywhere.
Wyvern Lair Edit
Snakes can spawn anywhere in the Wyvern Lair with a light level of 9 or more.
Snakes will drop 0-2 eggs upon death. They drop 1 to 3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Snakes wander around aimlessly, avoiding cliffs high enough to cause fall damage, and tend to swim in water. Snakes can be heard hissing occasionally. Each snake has their own behavior, and some may be harder to find than others. Snakes may be passive or neutral.
Unlike other mobs, snakes can't jump, and instead will automatically scale up blocks, like scorpions and spiders.
If you hold a mouse or bird near a snake and then drops it, the snake will hunt it down; they usually attack these small creatures.
Snakes can exist either in a passive, neutral, or hostile state. Passive snakes will not attack the player, and will flee when approached. Passive snakes include the dark snake and the spotted snake.
Aggressive snakes are initially neutral, but if a player approaches one, they will lift their head up and begin to hiss at you as a warning. If you move about three blocks away, the snake will ignore you. However, if you continue to remain in its range, it will become aggressive and attack you. Some aggressive species are capable of poisoning you.
Some hostile snakes can poison you. They're deadly if you are touched by one, because if you are touched, the poison effect will last for 7 seconds, and lower you to 7 () hearts in about 10 seconds. The effect makes you very vulnerable to any damage for about 20 to 30 seconds, especially if you haven't killed the snake.
- Some snakes are venomous; and are capable of draining your health quickly if they poison you. Keep your distance if you provoke a venomous snake.
- They can be easy to kill, a stone or better sword is best against them.
- Unlike rats, attacking one snake will not provoke other snakes in the area. This can be used to make eggs easier to obtain.
Wild snakes cannot be tamed. Instead, the player has to obtain a snake egg. Once obtained, place the egg in a well lit area. When the egg hatches, the baby snake will become tame and the naming screen will appear.
Tamed snakes can be picked up. To pick up a snake, right-click on it and it will go onto your shoulders. To release the snake, press the shift key. Tamed snakes can be healed with raw rat.
Tamed snakes are passive, and will never attack the player. It will try to attack any birds, including tamed ones; even if they are on your head. It also won't retreat when approached.
As time passes, the snake will grow larger until it reaches its maximum size. Green snakes, coral snakes and spotted snakes stay small, but pythons and cobras can grow relatively large.
Snakes spawn with eight different skins, including green, orange, dark brown (python), dark green, spotted, brownish-green (rattlesnake), red-black stripes (coral) and green-red (cobra).
To get a snake egg, input one of the following commands below.
For a list of snake egg IDs, see the egg page.
|1.6 or earlier||/give @p 4101 1 [ID]|
|1.7 and later||/give @p MoCreatures:mocegg 1 [ID]|
- Snakes are healed with raw rat.
- You can now name your tamed birds, bunnies and snakes by using an amulet or book.
- Fixed snake head rotation.
- Fixed pet mounting (birds, bunnies, snakes, turtles, kitties).
- Fixed snake attack animation.
- Increased speed of the snakes.
- Snakes are slightly faster.
- Added snakes.
There are eight different kinds of snakes including a couple of shy snakes that will run away from the player and venomous snakes like corals, cobras, rattle snakes.
There are also aggressive pythons. Different kind of snakes spawn based on the biomes. Rattlesnakes only spawn on deserts.
Snakes mind their own business, if you get too close they will alert and hiss, giving you time to run away. If you don't they will attack you.
A player carrying a bird or mice will attract the nearby snakes. They hunt down small creatures.
You can obtain snake eggs. A snake egg that is dropped near a torch will hatch and the baby snake will be tamed and can be picked up. Tamed snakes won't attack the player.
- Snakes are based on many real-life snake species.
- The appearance of the python is based on the real-life group of pythons, but shares a resemblance to the Burmese python.
- The green snake is mostly likely based on either the Eastern green mamba or the smooth green snake.
- The appearance of the cobra is based on many cobra species.
- The orange snake is based on the corn snake.
- The coral snake is based on the group of coral snakes, but may also be based on micrurus.
- The spotted snake resembles the Yellow-spotted wolf snake.
- Pythons can slither on top of water, and don't become submerged like other snakes. When snakes swim, you can hear the slithering sounds they make when they do so.
- Snakes never take fall damage, even when the player lifts it up into the air and drops it.
Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Panda • Piranha • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern