|Health points||10 ()|
|Attack strength|| Easy: 2 () |
Normal: 2 ()
Hard: 3 ()
|Spawn||Light levels of 7 or less.|
|First appearances||See History|
|Drops||Raw Rat (0-2)|
Rats are common neutral mobs found in the Overworld.
Rats naturally spawn in the Overworld on top of solid blocks at a light level of 7 or less.
Rats come in two different colors: brown and black. There is also an unused albino model.
Rats will drop 0-2 pieces of raw rat meat upon death, and will still drop it even if set alight. They drop 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Rats spawn in dimly lit areas, and will not burn in sunlight. They wander around aimlessly, and make loud squeaks occasionally. Rats will avoid cliffs high enough to cause fall damage, although they tend to ignore this when in pursuit of the player. Rats usually stay out of water.
Rats will attack the player within a 12 block radius if the light level drops to 7 or less, or if provoked in light levels higher than this, and remain neutral if the light level is higher. Like wolves and zombie pigmen, rats will attack the player if a member of their group is attacked by the player. You may mistake rats for mice, since rats have similar models, but size can be used to tell the difference, as rats are larger than mice.
When in pursuit of rats, they may become a nuisance if they form a large group, especially when fighting more dangerous monsters. They are not very fast mobs though, and usually move slightly slower than the player's walking pace.
- Changed rat item drop.
- Added rats: They will attack the player at night or in dark areas, if you attack one rat, all the nearby rats will attack you. They drop coal. Rats can climb walls when chasing the player.
- If an ogre is near a group of rats, you can lure the ogre and the rats in together and then have the ogre smash the ground to kill the group of rats.
- Prior to v4.1.3, rats dropped coal instead of raw rat.
- Rats were added in the same version as kitties.
- Rats share the same Entity ID as hellrats.
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern