|Health points||20 ( x 10)|
|Spawn||Deserts and Plains|
|Drops||1-2 Raw Ostrich|
Ostriches can be found in groups consisting of both male and females, sometimes containing Ostrich chicks. They are common in Plains and Deserts.
Many types of Ostriches have a chance to drop different items when killed:
- All types of Ostriches drop Raw Ostrich when killed.
- Light Ostriches have a chance to drop a Unicorn Horn when killed.
- Dark Ostriches have a chance to drop a Heart of Darkness.
When a player attacks a female Ostrich or a chick, it will run around and stick its head into the ground. When the player attacks a male, it will become aggressive and give chase towards the player. Ostrich chicks will not attack the player.
Female Ostriches can lay eggs, but if stolen, both the male and female will attack.
Taming and BreedingOstriches can be tamed by hatching an Ostrich egg. Females will only lay eggs in Plains or Deserts. Unlike many other mobs, an Ostrich doesn't need to be killed to get an Ostrich egg. To get an Ostrich egg, one must find a female Ostrich and pair it with a male Ostrich.
Ostriches can be 'bred' by leaving a male and female Ostrich a few blocks away from each other (it doesn't matter if there are any other mobs nearby). Tamed Ostriches do not lay eggs. After a short time, an egg will appear. The Ostrich that hatches will not be tamed unless the egg is picked up and hatched near light.
As of v6.3.1, once together, a female Ostrich must be alongside a male and then fed a Melon Seed to lay a single egg. This can take about half a Minecraft day. Once the Ostrich lays an egg, walk a few blocks away from it, and a message will appear. When it does, the egg can then be collected.
The Ostrich egg can be hatched by simply placing it down in an open area. Hatching should then only take a couple of minutes.
As of Minecraft 1.7.10: /give [username] MoCreatures:mocegg 1 31. This command still works in Minecraft 1.8.
An Ostrich can be given different types of equipment for many purposes:
- A Helmet can be given to a tamed Ostrich to reduce the damage they receive. Different types of Helmets can be used.
- Wool of different colors can be used on Ostriches for Flags. For example, giving an Ostrich Red Wool will result in a Red flag. If the Ostrich is given a different color, the flag will change and the previous Wool will be retrieved. To add a flag, the Ostrich must already be tamed and have a chest, although a Saddle is not required.
- A Chest can be used on an Ostrich to carry a small inventory. In versions before v8.0.0 DEV, a Key will appear in the inventory once the Chest is given.
- A Minecraft Saddle or Crafted Saddle can be applied to an adult Ostrich so it can be ridden.
- A Whip can be used when riding an Ostrich to give a short speed boost. Using a Whip when not riding it will make it remain stationary and have its head in the ground. If used again, the Ostrich will pull its head from the ground and begin moving once more.
- A Lead can be used to lead an Ostrich around (the Ostrich does not have to be fully-grown to use it).
- A Medallion can be used to rename a tamed Ostrich.
Ostriches can not wear Horse/Mount Armor.
Male and Female OstrichesThe most common Ostriches, they are both separated by gender. Male Ostriches are mostly Black in color, with White tail feathers, whereas females are mostly Brown. Chicks have Black patches and Brown feathers until they grow up, then their feathers will change color to reflect their gender when they are older.
Albino OstrichThe Albino Ostrich is a rare Ostrich that can run faster than regular Ostriches when ridden. It has a small chance of hatching from an Ostrich egg. The chick will look like a regular chick until it becomes fully grown, and will then have white feathers instead of the regular black and white or brown plumage.
There are four different kinds of Ostriches that can be created by giving a tamed Ostrich a certain Essence. After an Essence has been used on an Ostrich, it can be used with another to be changed again.
Nether OstrichThe Nether Ostrich is a fire proof Ostrich that can be created by giving any tamed Ostrich an Essence of Fire, or by hatching an Ostrich egg in the Nether. Nether Ostriches are immune to fire and will lay Nether Ostrich eggs. Nether Ostriches can fly in a way inspired by the game Joust. They are mostly purple-red in color and have a Dragon-like appearance.
Light OstrichThe Light Ostrich (or Unihorned Ostrich) can be obtained by using an Essence of Light on a tamed Ostrich. They can charge at mobs in a similar fashion to Unicorns if a Whip is used on one. They have gold or white feathers and have a horn protruding from their head.
Wyvern OstrichA Wyvern Ostrich (or Dark Ostrich) can be obtained by giving any tamed Ostrich an Essence of Darkness. They can fly if the jump button (spacebar by default) is used in a timely fashion. They propel themselves forward once flying, and can be rather tricky to control in the air. They are mostly black in color and have red eyes, along with a long, scaly tail.
Undead OstrichUndead Ostriches can be obtained by giving a tamed Ostrich an Essence of Undead. They are a sickly green color, and they do not decay over time. They can take damage from splash potions of Healing.
- Fixed Ostriches not laying eggs.
- Added configurable egg drop chance for Ostriches.
- Female Ostriches now require a Melon Seed in order to have the ability to lay a single egg. Only untamed female Ostriches can lay eggs with a male Ostrich close by.
- Fixed Ostrich eggs not hatching.
- Female Ostrich eggs are no longer sterile. Players must now pick up the eggs in order to hatch them.
- Added new config option 'ostrichEggThreshold' which controls how many Ostriches there can be in a world before Ostriches can no longer lay eggs.
- Fixed Ostrich flying bug.
v6.0.0 DEV R3
- Fixed Ostrich crash.
- Fixed bug when 'shearing' Ostriches.
v5.1.2 - DEV
- Fixed male Ostriches showing incorrect chest name.
- Tamed Ostriches no longer retaliate if attacked by the player.
- Fixed bug that prevented changing flag colors on Ostriches.
- Ostrich Overhaul:
- Nether Ostriches now lay Nether Ostrich eggs.
- Nether Ostriches are now immune to fire.
- Ostrich head bobbling reduced.
- Fixed bug with tamed Ostriches attacking players holding Wheat.
- Added Ostriches.