Ostriches spawn on grass and sand blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 2 block space above. They often spawn in groups of 4 during world generation. Groups can either come with males, females or baby ostriches. There is also a small chance of an albino ostrich spawning in a group.
Many types of ostriches have a chance to drop different items when killed:
- All types of ostriches drop 0-2 raw ostrich when killed.
- Light ostriches have a chance to drop a unicorn horn when killed.
- Dark ostriches have a chance to drop a heart of darkness upon death.
Ostriches drop 1 to 3 experience when killed by the player or a tamed wolf.
Ostriches are neutral mobs, but if the player attacks a female ostrich or a chick, it will run around and stick its head into the ground. If he/she attacks a male, it will become aggressive and give chase. Baby ostriches will not attack the player.
Prior to v6.3.1, female ostriches can lay eggs, but if stolen, both male and female will attack the player.
TamingOstriches can be tamed by hatching an ostrich egg. Females will only lay eggs in plains or deserts. Unlike many other mobs, an ostrich doesn't need to be killed to get an ostrich egg. To get an ostrich egg, one must find a female ostrich and pair it with a male ostrich.
Prior to v6.3.1, ostriches can be 'bred' by leaving a male and female ostrich a few blocks away from each other (it doesn't matter if there are any other mobs nearby). Tamed ostriches do not lay eggs. After a short period of time, an egg will appear. The baby ostrich that hatches will not be tamed unless the egg is picked up and hatched.
As of v6.3.1, once together, a female ostrich must be alongside a male and then fed a melon seed to lay a single egg. This can take about half a Minecraft day. Once the ostrich lays an egg, walk a few blocks away from it, and a message will appear. When it does, the egg can then be collected.
The ostrich egg can be hatched by simply placing it down in an open area. Hatching should then only take a couple of minutes.
As of Minecraft 1.7.10 or 1.8: /give @p MoCreatures:mocegg 1 31.
An ostrich can be given different types of equipment for many purposes:
- A helmet can be given to a tamed ostrich to reduce the damage it receives. Many types of helmets can be used, including all of the player helmets.
- Wool of different colors can be used on an ostrich to give it a flag. For example, giving an ostrich red wool will result in a red flag. If the ostrich is given a different color, the flag will change and the previous wool will be retrieved. To add a flag, the ostrich must already be tamed and have a chest, although a saddle is not required.
- A chest can be used on an ostrich to carry a small inventory. In versions before v8.0.0 DEV, a key will appear in the inventory after the chest has been given.
- A saddle or crafted saddle can be applied to an adult ostrich so it can be ridden.
- A whip can be used when riding an ostrich to give a short speed boost. Using a Whip when not riding it will make it remain stationary and have its head in the ground. If used again, the ostrich will pull its head from the ground and begin moving once more.
- A lead can be used to lead an ostrich around (the ostrich does not have to be fully-grown to use it).
- A medallion or book can be used to rename a tamed ostrich.
Note: Ostriches can wear helmets from either Minecraft or Mo' Creatures (its also possible that they can wear helmets from other mods). When given hide and aur helmets, the helmet appears to have small bear ears. Diamond, iron and gold helmets have a metallic texture. Chain helmets cannot be put on ostriches. All of the others include reptile helmets, all four scorpion helmets and leather helmets. Leather helmets can be dyed but the color will not show up and when removed with shears, it will become normal.
Ostriches can not wear horse armor.
There are 8 different types of ostriches in Mo' Creatures.
There are also four kinds of ostriches that can be created by giving a tamed ostrich a certain essence. After an essence has been used on an ostrich, it can be used with another to be changed again.
|Male ostrich||Males are mostly black in color, with white tail feathers.|
|Female ostrich||Females have a brown plumage as opposed to the male's black plumage.|
|Baby ostrich||Babies have black patches and brown feathers until they grow up, then their feathers will change color to reflect their gender when they are older.|
|Albino ostrich||A rare ostrich that can run faster than regular ostriches when ridden. They have white feathers instead of the usual black or brown plumage. It has a small chance of hatching from an ostrich egg. The baby will look like a regular baby ostrich until it becomes fully grown, and will then have white feathers.|
|Light ostrich||Can be obtained by using an essence of light on a tamed ostrich. They can charge at mobs in a similar fashion to a unicorn if a whip is used whilst riding one. They have a yellow-white plumage and a horn protruding from their head.|
|Dark ostrich||Can be obtained by giving any tamed ostrich an essence of darkness. They can fly if the jump button (spacebar by default) is used in a timely fashion. They propel themselves forward once flying, and can be rather tricky to control in the air. They are mostly black in color and have red eyes, along with a long, scaly tail.|
|Nether ostrich||A fireproof ostrich that can be created by using an essence of fire on a tamed ostrich, or by hatching an ostrich egg in the Nether. Nether ostriches will lay Nether ostrich eggs. They have a purple-red plumage with yellow eyes.|
|Undead ostrich||Can be obtained by giving a tamed ostrich an essence of undead. They are a sickly green color, and they do not decay over time. They can take damage from splash potions of Healing.|
- Fixed ostriches not laying eggs.
- Added configurable egg drop chance for ostriches.
- Female ostriches now require a melon seed in order to have the ability to lay a single egg. Only untamed female ostriches can lay eggs with a male ostrich close by.
- Fixed ostrich eggs not hatching.
- Female ostrich eggs are no longer sterile. Players must now pick up the eggs in order to hatch them.
- Added new config option 'ostrichEggThreshold' which controls how many ostriches there can be in a world before ostriches can no longer lay eggs.
- Fixed ostrich flying bug.
v6.0.0 DEV R3
- Fixed ostrich crash.
- Fixed bug when 'shearing' ostriches.
v5.1.2 - DEV
- Fixed male ostriches showing incorrect chest name.
- Tamed ostriches no longer retaliate if attacked by the player.
- Fixed bug that prevented changing flag colors on ostriches.
- Ostrich Overhaul:
- Nether ostriches now lay Nether ostrich eggs.
- Nether ostriches are now immune to fire.
- Ostrich head bobbing reduced.
- Fixed bug with tamed ostriches attacking players holding wheat.
- Added ostriches.
- Nether ostriches can fly in a way inspired by the game Joust.
Big Cat •
Elephant / Mammoth •
Komodo Dragon •
Manta Ray •
Medium Fish •
Small Fish •