- For the hostile untamable variants, see Horsemob.
Horses (WildHorse in-game) are passive, tamable, rideable mobs found in the Overworld.
Horses spawn on grass blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 2 block space above. They often spawn in groups of 4 during world generation.
Almost all of the types of horse breeds have unique features and markings. Adult horses are 1.4 blocks wide and long, and 1.6 blocks high. Foals start at less than 1/4 of the size of adults and get progressively bigger as they age. Horses do not change once they have been tamed, though tame horses may be differentiated by giving them equipment.
All horses will roam idly, occasionally stopping to rear, swish their tails, or lower their heads as though they are eating the grass. Unlike sheep, the eating animation does not actually cause any grass to be consumed. If a player comes near, the horses may turn to look at them. Any horse, even a wild one, will allow itself to be attached to a lead without protest. Horses remain passive, even when hit.
Horses will also open their mouths and make noises that depend on the particular horse’s variation. Normal horses make neighs and whinnies, while donkeys and mules emit brays.
Most types of horses will drop 0-2 leather upon death. Unicorns and fairy horses drop a unicorn horn; and ghost horses drop 0-2 ghast tears. They drop 1 to 3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf. If armored, chested, or saddled, they will drop anything equipped.
Minecraft and Mo' Creatures horses
In Minecraft 1.6, horses were added to the game, and were based on and had the same models as Mo' Creatures horses. These horses changed the spawning properties of Mo' Creatures horses.
- If both Minecraft horses and Mo' Creatures horses are set to spawn in a world, the easiest way to distinguish between them is by looking at their eyes. Mo' Creatures horses have more detailed eyes, complete with irises.
- Mo' Creatures horses are resistant to punches, and have a health bar above their head.
- The horses in the mod make different brays and whinnies.
- Mo' Creatures horses have different textures when equipped with horse armor.
- Minecraft foals have skinny legs, but Mo' Creatures horses don't, as their limbs remain the same size from baby to adult.
Mo' Creatures horses are faster than Minecraft horses, and have a speed of up to 8 or 9, while Minecraft horses have an average speed of up to 7.
They jump higher than Minecraft horses by up to 2 and a half blocks and they can jump over fence blocks. Mo' Creatures horses don't take damage from suffocation. Strangely, Mo' Creatures horses are fireproof, but they will take damage in lava.
In order to tame a horse, it must first be given a Minecraft saddle or crafted saddle by right-clicking on the horse with the saddle in hand, this is opposite to the normal Minecraft taming method since the player has to put the saddle on the horse first in order to tame it, otherwise 'breaking' it will be more difficult and thus will result in being thrown off the horse many times.
The horse must then be given any appropriate food item (such as bread) to reduce its temper by right-clicking on it. Each type of horse has an amount of temper that must be removed before it can be tamed successfully. The player can reduce the temper of an untamed horse by giving it a specific food item (see below). Many food items will reduce temper by different amounts.
|Wheat||Reduces 25 temper.|
|Sugar Lump||Reduces 50 temper (to a minimum of 25)|
|Bread||Reduces 100 temper (to a minimum of 25)|
|Apple||Tames the horse instantly without the next step.|
Giving a horse an apple is a recommend way to tame it successfully without having to mount it and therefore being kicked off many times. Once temper has been sufficiently reduced, the horse can then be mounted. It may throw the you off several times or if temper has been reduced enough, become tamed and allow you to name it.
Once a horse or several horses has/have been tamed, it is possible to breed them in order to obtain rarer horses. There are many different breeds that can be created, all with different coat colors. There are even special types that can be created with the help of some rare drops.
The rules of horse breeding
To successfully breed a pair of horses, these rules must be followed for the entire process:
- The pair of horses must not be more than 4 blocks away from each other. It is recommended that you place the two horses in an enclosure for this step.
- There must not be any other horse within 8 blocks of the breeding pair. If you find any horse(s) near the breeding pair, either kill them or move them away.
- One or both of the horses must be fed the appropriate food items to begin the breeding process (pumpkins, mushroom stew, or cake). If successful, love hearts will then appear around the horses (as shown in the picture above), similar to the particle effect that surrounds breeding vanilla mobs, these particles may fade away, if that happens, you may need to find a different horse.
- Horses must be left for about half a Minecraft day (about 10 minutes) after being fed the proper item. Pegasus and unicorns take over one Minecraft day.
Note: It is not graphic when horses are being bred, as Minecraft is a kid-friendly game.
To breed the 'normal' horses, follow this breeding chart.
Note: Since Minecraft 1.6 replaced most of the Mo' Creatures horses, breeding is still the same, but you need to use Minecraft horses. Find a Minecraft horse with the same coat pattern as the desired horse that you want in the breeding chart, and then pair that horse up with a Mo' Creatures horse. You should get a Minecraft horse that has the same coat pattern as a tier 2 or 3 horse and so on.
How to use the breeding chart
The breeding chart is similar to a multiplication table. After finding the desired horse, look to the top horse of that column, and the far left horse of the row will show the required horse(s) to breed.
By breeding those two horses, they have a chance of giving birth to that desired horse.
Keep in mind that breeding horses will not always create the horse you desire, and will sometimes produce a horse that is the same type as one of the parents. If this is the case, there is no option but to try again (unless easy breeding has been turned on in the config file).
For instance, to breed the grey and white spotted horse (2nd row down, 6th column), a Minecraft white horse and black horse are needed.
The small subscripted number in the top left of each horse picture represents the 'tier' of the horse. There are four tiers. Typically, the objective is to breed at least one or two tier 4 horses in order to begin breeding special horses. Once this has been worked out, the breeding chart is simple and quite easy to use.
The baby will be tamed to the player almost immediately after birth and the naming screen will then appear. The player can instantly breed the two parent horses as soon as the foal has been born, but the player has to move it to another place first.
After giving the two parent horses the food items necessary for breeding, you must stay in the Overworld. If you go into another dimension, the baby will be untamed and will need to be tamed like other horses.
Breeding Minecraft horses
To breed a Minecraft horse and a Mo' Creatures horse, you must give the Mo' Creatures horse either a pumpkin, mushroom stew or cake. After this, it will then start the breeding process. You don't need to give anything to the Minecraft horse, as both horses will breed. Keep those golden apples for later.
There are five types of tamable Mo' Creatures horses that spawn naturally in the wild, including zebras. But they are many more that are obtainable by breeding. There are also a handful of rare special horses that require both breeding and items in order to obtain them.
There are 35 types of horses that can be tamed or created, from the common horse breeds to the exotic zebra, to the incredibly rare, mythical horses such as the unicorn and pegasus.
These breeds can be obtained in a variety of ways, and provide a variety of benefits.
Note: As of Minecraft 1.6, all five of these horses have been replaced by the Minecraft horses.
The first tier of horses, they are required for making most of the cross-breeds (with the exception of tier 2 horses, since they spawn naturally). There are five breeds of horse in this tier. These horses do not spawn naturally.
Twelve breeds can be obtained through non-magical cross-breeding.
Nine of these are obtained by cross-breeding the five common horses, and their offspring, in various combinations:
The second tier. As of Minecraft 1.6, only three out of the tier 2 horses can be found in the wild. This includes the bright creamy horse, the dapple horse, and the chestnut horse. There are four breeds in this tier.
Tier 3The third tier, these uncommon breeds are needed for creating the tier 4 horses. There are three breeds of tier 3 horses. They can no longer be created by breeding Mo' Creatures horses.
The last tier, these horses are the last and most important breeds. These horses, unlike the the previous tiers, can be used to tame a zebra, which is why they are needed for a zorse and the special horses. There are two breeds of tier 4 horses.
Once a tier 4 horse has been bred, breeding can be taken a step further to tame/breed/create the many types of special horses that this mod has to offer. Most of the other types of breeds (such as donkeys and mules) can carry inventories.
The donkey is a special variant of horse. They can be equipped with both a chest and saddle, and can be bred with a horse or a zebra to create a mule or zonkey. Mo’ Creatures donkeys look almost identical to Minecraft donkeys except for the eyes, and the stripe texture on the back, but Mo’ Creatures donkeys can no longer spawn due to the Minecraft horses replacement.
The mule is a cross between a donkey and any other type of horse. Because of this, they cannot be found naturally. They can be obtained by breeding a Minecraft donkey with any breed of horse. They look similar to donkeys, but they have a dark brown coat instead of a grey coat. Mules are sterile.
The zebra can be used to create zorses and zonkeys. To tame a zebra, the player has to give it an apple whilst riding on a tier 4 horse, another zebra or a zorse.
There is an Easter egg that involves zebras. Right-clicking on any tamed zebra with any music disc will give you a zebra record in return. When it is played near tamed zebras, they begin dancing, and will continue to do so until the music is turned off. The music is a loop of LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem.
ZorseThe zorse is a cross between a horse and a zebra. Zorses can be obtained by breeding a zebra with any type of normal horse. They are important horses that are needed for creating most of the mythical horses. They are born sterile. Giving any of the four essences to a zorse creates the special horses.
The zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey that can be made by breeding a Minecraft donkey with a zebra. A zonkey resembles a zorse but with longer ears. Zonkeys, like mules and donkeys, can be given their own inventory with a chest. They can not be used to tame zebras.
Undead and skeleton horse
The undead horse and skeleton horse, along with the undead and skeleton unicorn and pegasus, are as the name suggests, undead horses. To create a tamable undead horse, simply use an essence of undead on any normal horse. The undead horse will only be temporary, however.
Over time, undead horses lose their flesh and it will fall off, creating a skeleton horse after several "stages" of decay. Tamed skeleton horses won’t burn if exposed to daylight. If an undead horse with flesh is desired, use an essence of light on it and the flesh will light up a little greener, and any exposed bone will be grown over. Using an essence of undead on a unicorn will turn it into an undead unicorn, and using an essence of undead on a pegasus or a dark pegasus will turn into an undead pegasus.
Over time, their flesh will also fall off and eventually will become a skeleton unicorn or a skeleton pegasus. Both undead and skeleton pegasus can fly, and undead and skeleton unicorns retain the ability to charge at mobs. When a tamed undead horse, unicorn or pegasus is killed, several maggots will spawn in its place. A skeleton horse, unicorn or pegasus can be given an essence of light to regain its flesh again.
Like their undead variants, skeleton horses, unicorns and pegasus will take damage from splash potions of Healing.
The bat horse is a flying black horse that can be obtained by using an essence of darkness on a zorse. The zorse will then transform into a bat horse within a few seconds after being applied to it. A bat horse can be used to create a pegasus. Tamed bat horses won’t burn if exposed to daylight.
The nightmare is a fireproof horse that can only be obtained by using an essence of fire on a zorse.
Nightmares have the unique ability to leave a trail of fire behind them when redstone is used on them, or when a whip is used on the ground beside them. The nightmare can be ridden normally, and the effect will last for a short amount of time. It is advised, however, that you should be careful when riding a nightmare when it has its ability activated, as it may set houses or buildings on fire. It is recommended to do this in an open area where they are no wooden structures.
A nightmare can be used to create a unicorn. Nightmares also have an animated texture for their coat. Unlike other horses, nightmares cannot wear horse armor. Like other horses (except for special horses), tamed nightmares can also be bred via the normal breeding process of Mo' Creatures horses.
The unicorn is a rare horse that is only obtainable by special means. In order to obtain one, a tamed nightmare must be given an essence of light. Unicorns can also be bred using an essence of light. Unicorns have the ability to charge at mobs if a whip is used on them, and they can also glide slowly to the ground so that they take no fall damage.
When a unicorn jumps, a trail of star-shaped particle effects follows behind it. Unicorns are needed in order to breed fairy horses. To heal a unicorn, use an essence of light.
The pegasus is a rare flying horse. A pegasus can be obtained by feeding a bat horse an essence of light above cloud level (around Y = 150). A pegasus can move faster and fly a little quicker than a bat horse, and is needed to breed fairy horses.
Like unicorns, a pegasus can be healed by giving it an essence of light.
The dark pegasus is a rarer fireproof variant of the pegasus. They are also one of the hardest types of horses to obtain. They can be obtained by giving a pegasus an essence of darkness. A dark pegasus can be given its own inventory by right-clicking on one with a chest. A dark pegasus can fly a little slower than the pegasus.
Ghost horse / flying ghost horse
The ghost horse is a rare horse that can only be obtained by killing a tamed horse. There are two types of ghost horse: the normal ghost horse and the flying ghost horse. A normal ghost horse can be obtained by killing any rare or tier four horse, this also includes unicorns, nightmares, bat horses, and undead and skeleton horses.
Flying ghost horses can be obtained by killing a pegasus, a dark pegasus, a bat horse or a fairy horse. Horses have a 1/10 chance of being replaced with a ghost horse when killed. Crystal horse armor can be placed on ghost horses. A flying ghost horse is transparent, so the player gets the ability to see through water which may be handy on a multiplayer server.
The fairy horse is the rarest horse in Mo' Creatures. Fairy horses are also the most colorful horses. They can only be obtained by breeding a pegasus and a unicorn together by using two essences of light, instead of pumpkins or mushroom stew under the normal breeding requirements. They both will disappear in the process of the birth. If the unicorn or pegasus was saddled, chested, or armored, those will be dropped.
Two adult white fairy horses can be bred together by using an essence of light to obtain another fairy horse, but the other two are lost. White fairy horses can be turned into different colors by giving them dyes. Each colored fairy horse has their own different eyes, wings and particles.
The unavailable dye colors are:
- Light grey
Note: Fairy horses can only be dyed once. They cannot be recolored.
Both horse armor and chests can be equipped on fairy horses. Giving a fairy horse equipped with a chest an essence of undead will turn it into an undead unicorn with a chest on it. This is the only way to get a chested undead unicorn.
Grey glitch horse
The grey glitch horse is a unused horse that will appear if the ID of the horse is corrupted or does not exist. The textures are found in the mod and it looks like a regular horse. It's possible that it is not in any tier. The only way to obtain this horse is by using commands. It has green eyes and a grey coat with black patches.
There is also another grey horse with invisible wings that can fly and carry a chest. It's possible that this horse is a pegasus with a missing texture. When being flown, the wings do not show; it flies in a similar manner to a ghost horse and appears to 'glide' rather than fly.
Horses can be ridden by giving them a either crafted saddle or a saddle, and then right-clicking on it. The controls for riding a horse can be seen below.
|Left Shift||Dismount/open horse inventory|
Items associated with horses
Main article: Crafted Saddle
The crafted saddle is a key item for the taming of horses. In order to 'break' or ride a horse, it is necessary to equip a horse with one (by right-clicking on it). It can be removed by right-clicking on the horse with shears.
Wheat / bread
Wheat and bread are used to raise the chances of taming the horse, and are used by right-clicking on the horse. It takes more wheat to tame a horse than bread does.
Amulets can be used to store tamed special horses. There are four types of horse amulets, each one can be used to capture different horses. pet amulets can be used to catch 'normal' horses. This also includes nightmares, bat horses and unicorns.
Types of horse amulets:
Main article: Sugar Lump
Sugar lumps are used similarly to wheat and bread. Feeding sugar lumps to any horse will make it easier to tame. It also makes babies grow slightly faster each time.
Main article: Hay Stack
Hay stacks are used similarly to wheat, bread and sugar lumps to make the taming of horses easier.
Apples and golden apples
These will tame a horse instantly. They can also be used to rename tamed horses. Golden apples can be used to breed Minecraft horses, although they're not very necessary, since giving a horse a pumpkin automatically starts the breeding process.
Main article: Medallion
A medallion can be used to rename a tamed horse, and will remain in the user's inventory once used. They can also be used to rename horses that come out of amulets and fairy horses. Apples do not work for them, however.
Formerly, horses could be led with a rope, but it has since been replaced with the lead from Minecraft. Right-clicking on any horse with a lead will get it to follow the player. It is possible to lead more than one horse at a time. This is useful if more than one Horse is being led.
Unlike ropes, leads will break if their is a solid block in between the player and a mob. This is more likely to happen if the player is in a forest biome with a lead tied to a horse, as there can be lots of trees obstructing the players path.
Main article: Whip
A whip can be used to speed up a horse for a short period of time when it is being ridden. If riding a nightmare, the whip will cause the nightmare to leave a trail of fire. When the horse is not being ridden, the whip can be used to make the tamed horse remain stationary (the horse will lower its head), and used again to make the horse move around once more.
Pumpkins and mushroom stew
Pumpkins and mushroom stew are needed to breed "normal" Mo' Creatures horses.
All four essences are necessary for obtaining rarer types of horses:
- Essence of undead Turns any tamed horse, zebra, or donkey into an undead horse, and then into a skeleton horse as time passes. It can be used to turn a unicorn or a pegasus into their undead variants.
- Essence of fire- Can be used to turn any tamed zorse into a nightmare.
- Essence of darkness - Can be used to turn any tamed zorse into a bat horse, or a tamed pegasus into a dark pegasus.
- Essence of light - Can be used to turn any tamed nightmare into a unicorn, or any tamed bat horse into a pegasus. It also makes it possible to breed unicorns and pegasus in order to obtain a fairy horse.
Main article: Horse Armor
Horse armor is a Minecraft item that can be applied to every type of horse except for donkeys, mules, zebras, zonkeys, undead horses, skeleton horses and nightmares.
To remove armor off a horse, right-click on the horse with shears.
Crystal mount armor
Main article: Crystal Mount Armor
Crystal mount armor is a special type of armor that can only be applied to special horses.
Main article: Zebra Record
The zebra record is part of an Easter egg that plays LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem when placed in a jukebox.
|1.6 and earlier||/give @p 9081 1 [ID]|
|1.7 and later||/give @p MoCreatures:amuletpegasusfull 1 [ID]|
Inputting the 1.7 and later command will place a sky amulet in your inventory, which can be used to spawn a horse. Be sure to remove the brackets where 'ID' is and replace it with the desired horse ID number.
Note: If you use this command on Minecraft 1.8, it will give you a sky amulet with a broken error texture, and right-clicking on the ground with it will do nothing.
|4||Dark brown (brown with white spots)|
|6||Bright creamy (light yellow/palomino)|
|7||Grey spotted (grey with white patches)|
|9||Speckled (grey with white patches)|
|11||Pinto (red and white)|
|12||Bright pinto (beige and white)|
|13||Pale speckled (white with beige spots)|
|16||Spotted (white with small black spots)|
|45||Flying grey horse|
|53||Light green fairy|
|56||Dark blue fairy|
|10/14/15/18/19/20/29/30/31/33/34/35/37/41/42/43/44//46/47/62/63/64||Grey glitch horse|
- Horses can get ready to breed by feeding them a golden carrot.
- Increased horse health and horse speed.
- Tamed zebras 'shuffle' again.
- The nightmare burning effect lasts less than before.
- Fixed zebra 'shuffle' sound.
- Fixed amulet glitch if the player's inventory became filled during vanish animation.
- Added new server '/mocspawn' admin command which allows the player to spawn any type of horse instantly
- This command should help server admins replace pets that go missing. Valid horse types:
Tier 2: 6-9
Tier 3: 11-13
Tier 4: 16-17
Special: 21-28, 30, 32, 36, 38-40, 48-61, 65-67
An example of spawning a zorse would be:
/mocspawn horse 61
v6.1.0 DEV R1
- Fixed fairy horse breeding.
v6.0.0 DEV R3
- Fixed migrated pet amulets containing horses not spawning correctly in 1.6.
- Fixed horse jumping bug showing damage animation.
v6.0.0 DEV R1
- Mo' Creatures horses renamed to WildHorses.
- Changed spawning of horses.
- Removed donkeys from Mo' Creatures. They can still be obtained with commands or mods.
- Hard coded certain spawn conditions: zebras spawn in savanna and regular horses in plains biomes.
- Fixed bug when obtaining a white fairy horse.
- Amulets now store the owner of the horse.
- Horses stored in amulets that are spawned by a player different than the owner, will become property of the player spawning them, And the previous owner will have his/her tamed counter reduced accordingly.
This is done to allow trade of amulets without losing a taming spot on servers enforcing ownership.
- The naming screen will now appear on ghost horses when they spawn.
- Fixed nightmare missing texture when animate textures is set to off.
- Undead horses will show stages of decay even with animate textures set to off.
- Changes made to decrease lag caused by horses.
- Yellow and purple fairy horses now drop a full amulet when trapped.
- Fixed cyan fairy horse texture typo.
- Newborn babies obtained by breeding will trigger naming on the owner of the mother horse.
- Activated red fairy horse.
- White pegasus can now carry bags.
- Tamed horses now drop any armor, inventory contents and bags they were carrying or wearing when killed.
- Fixed game crashing bug when feeding horses.
- Amulets now store the name, health, armor and saddle status of horses.
- All types of Fairy Horses now go into amulets.
- Fixed light green fairy horse texture error.
- Added seven new fairy horses.
- Horses obtained from an amulet are set to the player using the amulet.
- Horse transformation animation is synchronized in multiplayer.
- Foals and ghost horses now spawn tamed and are owned by the player.
- Horses will make noises less frequently.
- Fixed horse appearing sound.
- Fixed bug that allowed all horses to carry bags.
- Fixed game crashing bug that rarely occurred when breaking horses.
- Fixed game crashing bug related to horses and jukeboxes.
- Fixed game crashing bug when breaking horses in water or lava.
- Fixed bug with cloning horses and other tamed animals.
- Added a new fairy horse, obtained by giving a white fairy horse a light green dye.
- Ridden creatures now dive using the Mo' Creatures dive key. The player can now dive when riding a flying horse.
- Fixed horse texture bug, fps will improve when looking at horses, and the blank horse texture bug is fixed.
- Fixed inventory for horses.
- Fixed movement on horses.
- Fixed game crashing bugs with horse special FX.
- Tamed undead horses now 'decay' slower.
- The player can now 'reset' their undead/skeleton horses to their full flesh condition by giving them an essence of light.
- Fixed game crashing bug with undead horse animations.
- Fixed bug with bat horse wing animation.
- Fixed appear and vanishing animations on horses.
- Fixed bug where horses couldn't jump.
- Fixed crashing bug when mounting untamed horses.
- Fixed color shifting horse bug.
- Complete overhaul of the horses. From 8 to 35 different breeds.
- Riding a horse and having a tamed bunny, turtle, or bird on your head will make it run faster and jump higher than usual. When riding any flying horse, having a bunny or other small mob on your head will make the flying mount charge forward while flying.
- Jeb worked with DrZhark to implement horses for Minecraft 1.6. In the Minecraft credits after you defeat the ender dragon, DrZhark is credited for the creation of the horse.
- Even though most horses were replaced by Minecraft horses, DrZhark has preserved most of the Mo' Creatures' horses and made it so that they can be bred with Minecraft horses. Since then, Mo' Creatures horses have been renamed to WildHorse.
- If you shoot an arrow at your horse when riding it, the horse will not take damage. It will go through the horse's body as long as they are riding it, this can be useful if you're mounting a flying horse (such as a pegasus) and you want to shoot hostile mobs from below.
- If you look through a dark blue fairy horse's wings at a pegasus, you can't see it.
Big Cat •
Elephant / Mammoth •
Komodo Dragon •
Manta Ray •
Medium Fish •
Small Fish •