Elephants spawn on opaque blocks at light levels of 9 or more with a large block space above. Mammoths spawn in cold taiga, ice plains, ice mountains and ice spikes biomes.
Elephants are very large mobs that have many distinctive features, most noticeably their large tusks and trunk. The African elephant is bigger than the Asian elephant.
The two mammoths are much larger than the elephant species. They are covered in either grey or brown fur, and have much longer tusks. Unlike elephants, mammoths have a "hump" on their head.
Both elephants and mammoths drop 0-2 hide upon death. They drop 1-3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
If a tamed elephant or mammoth was killed whilst wearing equipment, that will also be dropped (as well as any items that were stored in chests).
Elephants and mammoths act like passive mobs; they wander around aimlessly, avoiding cliffs high enough to cause fall damage, and staying out of water. They will attack the player or other mobs if provoked. They will only attack you on Easy difficulty or higher. Elephants and mammoths can be heard trumpeting often, and occasionally, they will flap their ears and sway their trunks back and forth.
Like other baby animals, elephant or mammoth calves will follow adults. Calves will also attack you if provoked.
- Since elephants and mammoths are neutral mobs, it should be advised to play on Peaceful difficulty, as elephants and mammoths have high attack damage. They can also walk at the same speed as your walking pace.
- It is best to sprint away from the elephant or mammoth, and shoot them from afar with a bow, or kill them with an iron or better sword due to their high health.
To tame an elephant or mammoth, you need to right-click on a baby elephant (calf) with either ten sugar lumps or five cakes. Once you have given an elephant or mammoth calf the food items, the naming screen will then appear. A tamed elephant or mammoth can be renamed with a book, name tag or medallion. After about 4-7 Minecraft days, the tamed elephant or mammoth will be fully grown and will be able to use equipment.
Tamed elephants and mammoths can be healed by feeding them bread, hay stacks, potatoes, or baked potatoes.
Taking care of elephants or mammoths
You should be careful with where you keep their elephant or mammoth, as hostile mobs may try to attack them. However, elephants and mammoths have lots of health, as well as high attack damage, so they should be able to fight back and kill any mob that attempts to hurt them. High walls and a roof are recommended to keep out scorpions, and fences to prevent mobs from jumping over them.
If you 'sneak' near your tamed elephant or mammoth (shift key by default), it will sit for a short period of time. You can sit on the elephant or mammoth by right-clicking on it. To dismount your elephant or mammoth, press the shift key again.
Elephants and mammoths will typically spawn using one of four different skins. Skins include grey, brown fur, and grey fur.
The biome determines the skin used:
- Snowy biomes will have 100% grey fur and brown fur.
- Other biomes will have 100% grey and dark grey.
Elephants and mammoths can wear many types of equipment, as listed below:
Main article: Elephant Harness
The elephant harness allows the player to ride an elephant or mammoth. It can only be placed on tamed, adult elephants or mammoths. It also allows extra items to be added to the elephant or mammoth. It is accessible for one player only.
Main article: Elephant Garment
The elephant garment is a decorative item that can only be applied to tamed, adult Asian elephants. In order to apply the garment, you need to give the elephant an Elephant Harness first.
Main article: Elephant Howdah
The elephant howdah is a special luxurious throne. It can only be applied to tamed, adult Asian elephants. An elephant howdah can only be placed once an elephant harness and an elephant garment have been applied.
Main article: Elephant Chest
The elephant chest allows tamed adult elephants and mammoths to give them their own inventory. Two elephant chests can be applied to each elephant or mammoth. They can be opened by sneaking and right-clicking on them. Elephant chests can only be applied once an elephant harness has been added. Woolly mammoths can carry two extra elephant chests.
Main article: Tusks
Tusks are reinforcements for an elephant or mammoth that allows them to break through several types of blocks (with the exception of obsidian and bedrock and so on). When wearing tusks, elephants and mammoths are able to break blocks that are in their path. There are three different kinds of tusks: the wooden tusks, the iron tusks, and the diamond tusks. Tusks are applied by right-clicking on the tamed adult elephant or mammoth with tusks in hand, and can be removed by right-clicking on the elephant or mammoth with any pickaxe or shears.
In multiplayer, elephants or mammoths wearing tusks will not destroy blocks; this is to prevent griefing.
Main article: Mammoth Platform
The mammoth platform is an item that can only be applied to tamed Songhua River mammoths so that it can carry a second player.
- Improved elephant animations.
- Fixed bug when 'shearing' elephants.
- Tamed elephants and mammoths now drop any armor, inventory contents and bags they were wearing when killed.
- Made both elephants and mammoths grow slower.
- Adjusted fall damage for elephants.
- Elephants and mammoths now retaliate when attacked.
- Reduced frequency of elephant spawns in deserts.
- Added elephants.
- Elephants and mammoths are the largest mobs in Mo' Creatures, although mother and tier 2 wyverns can grow bigger than Asian and African elephants.
- Currently, there is no food item that can be given to elephant calves that can make them grow faster.
- It is easier and more recommended to tame elephant calves with sugar lumps, as cakes are more expensive to craft.
Big Cat •
Elephant / Mammoth •
Komodo Dragon •
Manta Ray •
Medium Fish •
Small Fish •