Big cats are tamable mobs that can be found in the Overworld.
Natural generation Edit
Big cats spawn on grass blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 2 block space above. Some cats can only spawn in certain biomes; leopards and panthers spawn in jungles, forests and their variants; lions and tigers spawn in plains and forests; and snow leopards spawn in cold biomes. Lions and tigers also spawn more frequently than panthers. There is a 1/20 chance for a white lion, lioness or tiger to spawn.
Hybrids, ghost big cats and winged big cats never spawn naturally, and can only be created by breeding or with the use of essences.
Big cats often spawn in groups of 4 of their own species during world generation. Cubs occasionally spawn with adults.
They will also drop anything equipped, such as a saddle, chest, and all the items in their inventory.
Big cats wander around aimlessly, occasionally opening their mouths to emit roars and growls and swish their tails. They will avoid walking off cliffs high enough to cause fall damage, and usually stay out of water.
Big cats are very aggressive, and will sprint and chase down their prey. This can range from mobs as small as ants to as large as deer. They will also attack the player if they come within the big cat's range, or if they are provoked. If a big cat is attacked by another mob, it will fight back. Like bears, big cats will attack other mobs when hungry. Once a big cat has made a kill, it will not be aggressive until it gets hungry again. Tamed big cats won't attack each other or other mobs, unless another mob attacks it first.
Wild big cats will become aggressive and attack the player if a whip is used within a few blocks of the big cat. This is probably due to the fact that whips are made from bigcat claws.
To tame a big cat, you need to drop raw porkchops or raw fish next to a wild cub. When the cub has eaten the meat, use a medallion on the cub. After doing so, the naming screen will appear.
To rename a big cat, right-click on it with a medallion, book, or name tag. Big cats can be healed by feeding them raw porkchops or raw fish. It will take at least 20 minutes (about one in-game day) or more for a cub to grow into an adult. The time it takes for a big cat to grow up depends on the species, as some big cats are larger than others.
Feeding tamed big cats raw fish, raw porkchops, raw beef or raw rabbit together in an enclosed space will activate love mode. They can either be fed the meat, or it can be dropped next to them. After being fed and paired together, love hearts will show around the breeding pair, and after around 5–10 minutes, a cub will be produced and the naming screen will appear.
Depending on the type of big cat, the offspring can be one of several types, or even a hybrid. The offspring will grow progressively larger with time until they reach their full size. The naming screen will also appear as soon as the offspring is produced, and once named, will be tamed to the player.
- Breeding two lions, panthers, tigers, leopards, and snow leopards will produce a big cat cub of the same species as the parents.
- Breeding a species of big cat with another species will produce a combination of the two parents, and the offspring will have a unique coat or pattern. See the variations section for more details.
Unlike horses, the breeding pair does not need to be kept away from other big cats, but they do need to be kept close in order to breed, therefore it is recommended to place them in a fenced area. Winged big cats, ghosts and hybrids are sterile and thus cannot be bred. Snow leopards, white lions and white lionesses cannot breed with other big cat species.
White lions and white tigers can't be obtained from breeding the two normal variants. To successfully breed a white lion or tiger, you will need to tame the white lion or tiger in the wild, then find a normal or white variant of the same species. Note that the offspring can still be a normal variant if one of the parents is also a normal species.
Big cats are one of the fastest, if not the fastest mountable mobs. Winged big cats can be used to travel far distances, as well as provide support for sniping hostile mobs from the air.
Big cats can be made to sit by either right-clicking on the ground or on the big cat with a whip. When stationary, they will not move. You can toggle between them sitting and moving around by right-clicking the ground or the cat with a whip again. A player cannot mount a saddled big cat whilst holding a whip (or any other item that requires the use of right-click).
Big cats can wear normal or crafted saddles so the player can ride them. Once a big cat is tamed and saddled, the player can control it.
A player can use any item while riding a big cat, including drinking or throwing potions; activating doors or redstone devices; using chests, crafting tables, and furnaces; breaking and placing blocks; and attacking with melee weapons or bows.
A ridden big cat can run very fast. Winged big cats also fly relatively fast, and are much faster than a pegasus or fairy horse, as well as minecarts. They can also be combined with speed potions. The player can make the ridden big cat jump with spacebar, dismount with the shift key, and descend on a winged big cat with the Z key.
If a tamed, fully grown big cat has been given a chest, it will acquire 18 inventory slots. The chest can be accessed by pressing the sneak key and then right-clicking on it.
Chests can be given to a big cat with right-click, and afterwards the chest cannot be removed, except by killing the big cat, placing the big cat in a pet amulet, or with shears. Upon death, the big cat will drop the attached chest and its contents.
There are nine big cats that spawn naturally in the Overworld, but many more big cats can be obtained with the use of essences and breeding. There are at least 21 types of big cats.
Lions are the only big cat species that are separated by gender. Lion coloration is usually orange-brown, with the exception of white lions. The underparts are generally lighter and the tail tuft is black. One of the most distinctive features about lions is that male lions have a large mane, but female lions lack manes.
The difference between a male and a lioness cub is by looking at their neck; male cubs have small black manes, however, it is not possible to to tell the difference between a male and female white lion cub until they are fully grown. It is possible to breed white lions with normal lions.
An essence of light can be used on a tamed male lion or male white lion to give them wings so that they can fly. Interestingly enough, a male white lion will become female upon gaining its wings.
One of the most recognisable species, tigers have a pattern of dark vertical stripes on reddish-orange fur with a lighter underside. Like lions, there are rarer white tigers. White tigers can be given wings with an essence of light to create a white winged tiger.
Leopards are small big cats covered in spots. Unlike most big cats, leopards cannot be given wings. Snow leopards have a white coat.
Panthers are small black big cats with orange or yellowish eyes. An essence of darkness can be used on a panther to create a winged panther. Winged panthers share the same wing textures as black manticores and bat horses.
Ghost big catEdit
A ghost big cat has a chance of spawning when a tamed big cat has been killed. They are transparent, and float on the ground, much like ghost wyverns and ghost horses. Like ghost horses, they can be caught and transported in a ghost amulet.
Ghost big cats are sterile. As a result they cannot breed with other big cats.
Hybrid big cats are the offspring of two big cats of different species. Most, if not all hybrid big cats vary in size, and also have unique markings.
Leogers are a cross between a tiger and a leopard, made by breeding a tiger and leopard together.
Liards are the result of breeding a male lion with a leopard. They are about the same size as a lioness, and are slightly smaller than a male lion.
Ligers are the largest type of big cat, and are 1.3 times the size of a lion. They are made by breeding a male lion with a tiger. Like lions, ligers can be given wings with an essence of light.
A lither is the cross between a male lion and a panther. They are mostly black but have a yellowish-brown chin, underside and paws.
Panthards are small big cats obtained by breeding a leopard and a panther.
Panthgers are the offspring of a panther and a tiger. They look almost exactly like panthers, but are much larger (about the size of a tiger) and have black stripes.
Prior to v8.1.0, big cats used different models.
- Fixed ghost big cats not being able to be stored in ghost amulets.
- Fixed hybrid big cats and pet amulet bug.
- Tamed ligers can obtain wings by receiving an essence of light.
- BigCats move faster.
- Hybrid big cats are now separate entities.
- Fixed bug with inventories of BigCats, horses.
- Fixed bug where ghost big cats will revert to normal cats after reloading game.
- Fixed bug where amulets will disappear from tamed big cats.
- Tigers and leopards now show chests.
- Added more big cat hybrids (thanks to Cybercat5555): leoger (between leopard and tiger), pangther (between panther and tiger), liard (between male lion and leopard) and lither (between panther and male lion).
- BigCat overhaul, split the big cats into their own categories: lions, tigers, panthers, leopards.
v6.0.0 DEV R5Edit
- Fixed attributes given to sub-types of creatures (i.e. different bigcat speeds).
- Big cats now check surrounding bigcats and will try to spawn the same species.
- Big cats won't attack players on creative mode.
- Tamed kitty and bigcats will drop medallions on death.
- Fixed bigCats sizes, health, attack and attackrange features.
- Fixed bug that prevented BigCat cubs from being tamed.
- Fixed bug with bigcats attacking unrelentlessly.
- Fixed bug with lions not attacking livestock.
- Reduced spawn rate of lions.
- Added option to heal BigCats by giving them rawfish or rawpork.
- Fixed bug where horses and BigCats will have their health reset every time the game loads.
- Fixed bug with BigCats, dolphins, werewolves and kitties not finding targets.
- Changed name tag height in the big cats to improve its visibility.
- You can change the name of tamed dolphins, sharks, kitties, BigCats and horses by using a medallion or a book.
- Tamed BigCats can now be given a name. To set or change a name, right click on the animal while holding a medallion. To toggle individual name displays on/off, right click on the animal while holding any pickaxe.
- To tame a BigCat, you will have to throw pork or fish near a small cub and then put a medallion on it.
- Tamed BigCats will no longer fight between themselves.
- Tamed BigCats will not destroy drops.
- Added sitting stance for BigCats.
- Added a way to identify tamed cats with the medallion.
- Added sounds to deer and different sounds for BigCat cubs.
- Added whip to control BigCats and horses:
- Horses and BigCats will stay put when a whip is used near them (within 12 blocks). Also if you right click on a tamed horse or BigCat, you can toggle them between moving and staying.
- Fixed bug with snouts being off 1 pixel when rotating head in bigcats.
- Added several new big cats: tigers, cheetahs, snow leopards, panthers.
- Heavy modifications to the BigCat's AI.
- Female lions and tigers will always attack the player if within range. Male lions, panthers and cheetahs will some times attack the player.
- Wild cubs will seldomly spawn. If you throw raw pork or raw fish near a small cub, you will tame it and it won't despawn or attack you. Once it grows to adult size, it will fight mobs. Cubs will attack any other animal smaller than themselves. Bigger (almost adult) cubs won't be tamed.
- BigCats will attack only when hungry. They will also eat raw pork or raw fish when hungry. Once they eat or kill a prey, they'll stop being hungry for a while.
- BigCats of different breeds will fight amongst them. Bring on the catfight!
- BigCats will drop BigCat claws when killed. There is no use for that item yet.
- Increased attack range of lionesses.
- Lionesses are now more aggressive than lions.
- Added female lions.
- Male lions will not attack female lions.
- Female lions are less aggressive towards the player.
- Lions wont hunt in peaceful difficulty.
- Lions will now attack other animals, including other lions and bears.
- Reduced the attack range of the lion in Hard difficulty from 16 to 6, and in Normal difficulty from 6 to 4
- Decreased lion spawn rate to 1/3.
- Big cats replaced the lions that were part of the initial release for the Mo' Creatures mod.
- In real life, snow leopards are rarely aggressive towards humans, but in Mo' Creatures they will always attack the player when in range.
- All big cat species make the same sounds as lions.
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern